Monday, September 12, 2011

12

Twelve is a big year. I see my little guy growing up each day, but I really felt it these past couple weeks. Within a week he was ordained a Deacon, passed the Sacrament, did Fast Offerings, and went to the Temple all for the first time.

His ordination was nice. The Spirit was felt and I was proud (in a good way).

A few years back I taught the 11 yr old girls in Primary. As they turned 12 many of them shared how their parents had taken them to the Temple to do Baptisms for the Dead on their birthday. I loved that idea. Bailey was only 10 at the time, but I was going to do that. What a great birthday idea. It doesn't work that easily for the boys as it does the girls. There is some timing of receiving the priesthood that doesn't make it as possible to do it on their birthday, but we had plans on doing it as soon as we could. Bailey got his recommend and was excited for us to take him.

We took him to Manti for his first visit to the Temple. What a great Temple to choose for his first visit. It was very personal. They all knew it was his first time and treated him like gold.
It reminds me of when I was a youth. That was the Temple I did baptisms in as a youth group.




When I went to pick them up Bailey kept saying "That was so cool". Makes me a little weepy.....cool Mom Moment.

5 comments:

Shauna said...

How awesome for Bailey. He is one beautiful kid! His Dad, however, needs help!

The Peterson 5 said...

I love that kid too! Well, his dad's a goof, but I guess we love him too!

Machelle Kay said...

That is an amazing idea. Mom told me about the "Hunger Games" Makes even his aunt proud.

pan x 8 said...

I have to agree! Turning 12 is huge! Priesthood, YM, Scouts, week long Scout camp, Junior High, puberty! Seems like so much in such a short time!

Congrats Bailey!

Tara said...

What a great post! You made me cry! My Zacky will be 12 in April and there is just something about knowing that his 12th birthday is coming up that makes me kinda sad. When we went to Disneyland Brian said to me, you know we really only have 7 years left to take vacations and spend time with just our kids. Zack will go on a mission and things just change once they go to college and get married and such. They are just growing way too fast! I think your baptisms for the dead idea for his birthday is so neat and special!