July 11th was my great-grandma Nelson's birthday. On a weekend near her birthday we would have the annual Henrie reunion up Huntington Canyon. I have many childhood memories camping there. We always camped in the same spot.
As a young girl a bunch of us cousins would go into a small forest and make houses in the trees. The pine trees were usually clumped in 3's, far enough apart that a child could walk between them. We would stake our claim and begin our house. We would sweep the pine needles off the dirt (yes with our mom's broom from the trailer). We would take pine cones and outline the kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc. We would connect our houses with paths bordered by pine cones. It was like a little village when we were done. Oh so much fun.
I have been back several times with my own kids and it isn't the same. Many of the pines have died and have been cut down. The interesting thing is that someone has made a large teeter-totter with a few of these trees. My kids LOVE that teeter-totter. We camp near our original Henrie Reunion spot and my kids will always find that teeter-totter. We were there this past week. Here is a bit of video of the large teeter-totter.
I guess they will remember my childhood spot as their childhood spot, but for different reasons.

4 comments:
I even remember building those houses. I miss huntington canyon. Camping up here just isn't the same.
Machelle, camping anywhere just isn't the same because we don't have mom to do everything. We forget that we are the moms now.
What are you talking about, I married a mom. Her name is Jen and she is great at it. She does everything for me. But in all honesty sleeping on a asphalt pad, in a campground isn't all that great.
I'm crying a little nostalgic tear thinking about the Henrie reunion! Thanks for the fond memories of our awesome pine tree huts / houses! We LOVED camping up there as kids!
Post a Comment