Saturday, July 12, 2008

I wish I had land

A friend asked Shane to feed his horses and irrigate his field while they went camping this past week. Shane LOVES to irrigate. I'm not quite sure why. It may be the child in him that gets to play in the mud. That is exactly what happened, but it became a family event. The boys loved it just as much as Shane did.




Saturday Night BathsWyatt and Bailey were having a mud fight, throwing balls of mud at each other. One had a rock in it and got Bailey pretty good in the lip.
I had to add this picture. This is Shane, Bailey, and Dallin in the back yard when we lived in Riverton, back in 2004. We had a water turn there and sometimes watered the back field with it. Shane was trying to get it to grow grass to put a horse on it. We moved before we ever got the horse, but the boys had a blast making sure it got watered. Look how little Bailey and Dallin were. Everyday this week Shane would go feed their horses. He would come home and tell me about the neighbors house that is for sale. "You should see the alfalfa field. That would be nice to have. Have you seen the mature trees in the back yard? Wouldn't that be nice? Have you seen how big the house is? That would be nice." My reply is "Yes I have seen all of that. Have you seen the highway that it is on? Have you seen how much they want for it?"
The poor man is stuck on a 1/2 acre, with little room for his horse to move. That's ok with me. I don't think I would have the energy to keep up any more land than what we have.




6 comments:

Shani said...

I love this story, my husband Matt also LOVES to irrigate as well as weed (rare, but nice)...I agree it definitely has something to do with playing in the dirt and mud. And the whole part about longing for more land, more house, and more horses--we left our three acres in Wellington which also was on the highway and sold two horses to be where we are now. But, all in due time I guess.

Machelle Kay said...

I am glad I don't have to worry about Logan and the mud. But it was nice to see Bailey and Dallin in the mud. They were so little

The Peterson 5 said...

Oh no Denette, I think it might be in our Steen genes to want to move or maybe it's the Nelson genes...but all things considered hasn't this been the longest we have both lived at our houses? I also love your pictures!! I remember those Riverton days...your boys sure have grown!!

Jen and Weston said...

My grandpa Wade still irrigates his lawn. I remember running through the ice cold water and having water fights as a kid. Then we'd put the sprinkler under the tramp and jump on it all day long. Your boys will have fun memories of this. Even Shane.

Tara said...

Love your story! We get teased that we bought little house, big yard instead of big house, little yard. It's a lot of work, but the kids love the space to play! I love seeing what you guys are all up to. I haven't been that great at keeping in touch for years!
Tara

Tara said...

Hi Denette! It was fun to hear from you! Your blog is so cute! Your little boys are adorable! I do have to say though that you don't give me much hope for having a girl the next time around :) I love my boys and I would love another one. Just feeling a little out numbered that's all. It is so fun to catch up with everyone. Isn't blogging so much fun! It's my new obsession!