I believe we are one of the last families to go see the Open House at the Draper Temple. I was pretty excited to take the boys. We had a FHE the Monday before where we talked about Temples and I felt the boys were excited to actually go in.
The day came. Being a good mom, I thought ahead and packed treats for the ride up. I knew I would have at least one that would complain about hunger. We didn't even spill anything on the way up. Things were going well. We go into the Chapel to watch a short video. Bailey and Dallin are now physically fighting. I felt like I was in Sacrament Meeting. Could these 2 just not sit by each other?
The bus ride went well. Bailey and Dallin were able to keep their hands to themselves. Porter thought this ride was pretty cool. Looking back this may have been the highlight of Porters experience.
We get off the bus and start walking through the tents. I get the famous line of "Are we there yet"? Well truthfully I have no idea where I am. We make it inside and Bailey wants to know why all these people are there. He wanted to go through all by himself. I would agree that would be nice, but not possible.
The boys loved the Baptismal Font. I would agree it was also one of my favorites.
We continue on with the tour. Porter starts getting whiny (is that a word?) I realize I was prepared with the food, but should have made sure he got a good nap before we got there. Oops!!! So Shane and my experience in the Temple was not very peaceful. Porter wanted to climb the stairs by himself, but wouldn't. He would throw himself on the stairs and whine. We would pick him up and he would cry. We put him down and he would just lay there. The thought crossed my mind to leave the Temple and meet Shane and the boys at the exit. How was I to get out? Who knows. So we continue on. I am sure those that were all around us thought we were "one of those parents" Yes the kind that have no control over their child.
We get to the sealing room and they have you sit down. When they shut the doors I thought maybe I should leave so that the others on the tour could actually feel the spirit and enjoy their time in the Temple. Porter surprised us and laid on the floor. If the couple speaking would have talked for maybe a minute longer, my Porter would have been asleep. (yes on the floor) Oh yeah, and cute Wyatt broke out in song in the sealing room. Singing I love to see the Temple. That made Shane and I laugh a bit, which was needed at that point.
The tour is done and we survived. I don't know what the older boys got out of it. I am hoping it was a good experience for them. We were driving away and Shane jokingly asked if we should drop our kids off somewhere and go through again. I understand why kids aren't allowed in the Temple. 12 is a good age. They are way too distracting.
Now that you have heard the negative parts of the experience, I should end by saying it is a beautiful Temple. It is amazing to me how everything is done to perfection. Each Temple has a unique style, but serves the same purpose. I love the fact we live so close to many Temples.
Driving home from G-Pa and G-Ma Steens you can see 2 Temples lit up (soon it will be 3). The boys have fun being the first one to point and say "I see the Temple" Usually Porter wins. He cries when he doesn't.
6 comments:
I said the same thing about 10 times when we went to the open house too....Now I know why kids aren't allowed in the temple. Max refused to stay on the path so there we are in the celestial room and he runs across the carpet in his dirty shoes. I thought the poor temple worker was going to have a heart attack. That was one of the most mild things he did there. Crazy, cute boys!
What a fun post..You are a very good mother, things like this can be so boring to kids..but I bet you will always remember it.
Hey, don't fret. You get to do it all over again for the Oquirrh Temple Open house in a few weeks. Yah! (We had similar experiences at the Draper open house as well.)
Denette, we went this past Friday night so we were one of the last ones too. It was beautiful. And small too. I really liked the celestial room. Very beautiful. We took some non-member friends with us and some friends who are going to be sealed in September.
I am glad you have normal kids like me. My temple open house experience was very similar. I do agree that it was beautiful. When the kids get older they will appreciate ite more.
We loved that open house too! Its probably one of my favorite temples ever! Im glad your kids enjoyed it...ya hope! But It sound likes they did! I wish my little boy would fall asleep where ever it was quiet.....ahhahah. Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed it and we look forward to the Oqquir temple, that one is the one I cant wait for!
Post a Comment