
My wedding anniversary is coming up in a week. It has made me reflect a bit on how Shane and I met. Do you ever look at other people and then wonder how you and your spouse found each other? God's hand HAD to be in it. How else would you explain it?
Back in the winter of 1997 I was attending the U of U. I had class Mon-Thurs, so it was common that Rick (a friend) and I would go to The Bay for some good ol' country dancing on a Thursday night. We did this for months. We would walk in together, but had our favorite dance partners once we got there. We would meet up at the end of the night to drive home together. In March Rick graduated and wasn't available anymore. This was such an out for me that I continued to go. I couldn't find anyone to go with, so I went by myself. Looking back, that may not have been such a great idea. A lot of things could have gone wrong.
Mid April I was there. A slow song came on and I looked around. I saw a good looking guy sitting on a bench with no intention of dancing. How could that be? He seemed content just sitting on this bench. So I asked if he wanted to dance. He said yes!..... 13 yrs later we have 4 kids, a dog and a horse........wait, there is more to the story.
The next week (April 27th) I happened to be on a date with a "regular" from The Bay. We had tried to see a movie, but nothing was going as planned. He suggested we go to The Bay. I didn't think that was such a good idea. I didn't want to spend the whole evening just dancing with him, but ended up there anyway. We danced a few dances and then I saw Shane. Oh no! I needed to at least go and say hi, but what about this date thing????? I turn to my date and tell him I need to say hi to someone and will be right back. I walked over to Shane and say hi and then he asks me to dance. I couldn't say no, but what will my date say when he sees me dancing with someone else? Crap!! After the dance was over Shane asks me to save him the last dance. The last dance was always a slow dance. How was that going to be possible? I think my date realized how coming here on a date was not such a good idea. The last song came on and he (the date) decided to ask someone else to dance. Oh yeah, now I can go find Shane without guilt. After the song Shane asks for my number. I still remember trying to find a piece of paper. The funny things that stay in our memory. (He still has the piece of paper.)
May 3rd was our 1st date. I remember what I was wearing and that we went to the Spaghetti Factory. The rest is all a blur. We dated for about 8 months. He proposed Dec. 12th and we were married March 20, 1998.
Shane was with his sister Sally that first night. Later we learned that she had said a prayer the night we met. She asked that Shane would meet someone there.
Also the night Shane got my number his brother Scott said "You're going to marry that girl" Shane just laughed and said "I just got her number, that's all".
The Bay now has a new name and I believe it is a bar, but good memories. The Bay was the last place I would have thought I would meet my husband. See what I mean about God's hand?
14 comments:
I'm glad you guys met even if it was at the gay bay!!!!!! love ya
Give a thumbs up to Shane for holding on to that piece of paper. I love this story!!
Awwww! What a sweet post! I LOVE that he still has the piece of paper! You dated and were engaged longer than we were. In the LDS world that's a long time!!! We dated 2 months and were engaged for 6 months. You guys are awesome!!!
I never knew you were on a date the night you got his number! That is a great story...such great memories at The Bay!!
What an awesome story!!! Made me reflect back on my own story! Time to write it down again...we just celebrated 16 years on Friday. WOW - where did the time go?
That was awesome!!! I cannot believe that we were not together during those times!! And especially me going through some of the same things you did meeting Shane!
How hilarious about "the date" and good for you for going with your instincts and not worrying about "the date!"
When it's the REAL THING nothing else matters ~ right? Love it!
Wow! Bring back memories. I remember those times you would go to the Bay by yourself. I thought you were crazy!! JK. I am glad you met Shane and I can totally see God's hand in it.
When I first saw the picture I laughed and thought "is that THE BAY!" Oh man this is gonna be good. I used to go there in high school. Man you're old! Ha ha. I met someone there and we danced the entire night! It was awesome. Can't beat country dancing at the bay! Ha ha. I didn't know it was even around back then. Oh good times!
I am totally copying you today! Thanks for inspiring me to sit down and write a good story for my kids!
I have memories from The Bay, but I really don't want to share them. You guys should go back on your aniversary. It would be fun!!!!
I don't think I ever knew the entire story. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Anniversary! So glad you were brave enough to ask Shane to dance. (He'd still be sitting on the bench)! What fun memories!
Such a great story. Glad you shared. I'll have to write my own story down when it's my anniversary in a couple of months. Thanks!
Denette! Happy Annivesayr...It does not seem like 12 years ago.. AWESOME!
Post a Comment