Tuesday, July 10, 2012

New Toy

A month or so ago my neighbor dropped by with some very yummy homemade marshmallows with caramel and chocolate on top.  Oh they were so good.  She had gotten the recipe from Barefoot Contessa.  I had seen that episode earlier with the marshmallows and had bought everything to make them, but had never gotten around to it. After eating hers I knew I needed to make some.  She told me they had to beat for 15 minutes so I should borrow her KitchenAid when I decided to make them.

 A few days later when I got around to making them I thought my hand-mixer could handle it.  Yes, I would have to stand there for 15 minutes to mix them, but they would be worth it.  About 5 minutes into my mixing, my mixer stops mixing.  What?!?  How am I to finish these?  I thought about running to a neighbor to borrow their mixer, but in the end just put them in the pan the way they were.  Needless to say they didn't turn out.......because they needed to be mixed a good 10 more minutes.  So sad!!

I have been without a mixer since then.  No cookies or treats have been made at this house.  I sometimes forget I don't have one.  I have a Key Lime Pie mix in the pantry because I picked it up one day and forgot I had no way of mixing it.  (I guess I could have taken a wire whisk to it, but that sounds too hard). 

I have had my eye on a KitchenAid for awhile now, but felt like there were a lot of other things I should be spending my money on.  Today, Shane came home for lunch.....a perk to working nearby.  He was looking for a treat and asked Bailey why he hadn't made cookies for awhile.  I reminded him we have no mixer.  He asked how much one would cost and I told him.  He whips out his wallet and throws me some money.  I joked with him that a KitchenAid would be heavenly, but a hand mixer would work fine.  He opens up his wallet again and throws out more money.  He's like, go get that mixer.  What?!?  Really?!?  I didn't hesitate to look for that Bed Bath and Beyond coupon I thought I had.  And yes,  I threw it away yesterday.  Thanks to a nice neighbor who gave me hers, I am now a proud owner of a KitchenAid.   When Shane gives me the ok I don't hesitate one bit.  I was out the door to the store just as he was going back to work.



 The first thing Bailey asked, as I walked in the door, was if I had gotten one.  I said yes and that it was in the car if he wanted to grab it.  He ran out to the car and had it out of the box in seconds.  He was so excited.  Within minutes he had all the ingredients out for chocolate chip cookies.  I thought I was excited, but he was just as excited.  Now I will have to try those marshmallows again.

4 comments:

Tara said...

LOVE your new toy - and red is my favorite color of all time!!! I don't know how you lasted this long without one! Now you've just got to make those marshmallows and then share the recipe with the rest of us! Sounds like my kind of treat!

Shauna said...

Way to go, Denette! That is awesome! In our day they were called "Mix Masters"! Bailey is quite the kid and quite the cook! Love the color "Red"! You'll enjoy that for many years to come!

Machelle Kay said...

I love that story. Shane is a rockstar but don't tell him I said so because he won't let me forget I said it.

pan x 8 said...

Girl, I am with you! When Charlie throws me money and says "Go get it!" I don't hesitate, look back, or question! Love it and now you ARE going to have to make some and we are going to have to get together so you can share product of your new toy! Love it!