Tuesday, June 24, 2008

CRAZY Neighbors

So yesterday I went to Bailey and Dallin's swim lesson. I thought it would be fun to go to a pool where they could practice a bit what they were learning. So after the lesson Karen and I take all 8 of our kids to a pool. Are we crazy? Probably, but it was fun.

I am sitting there enjoying Porters leftover ice cream sandwich when my phone rings. Who could that be? Actually it is a text. It is my neighbor. This is what she had to say. "Where are you? Your porch is lovely this time of day! If you want your cupcake it will be here for another three minutes!" So I must explain the cupcake. I have another neighbor who has experienced a gourmet cupcake and thinks we all should try one. So when I hear there are cupcakes I am thinking she has purchased some of these cupcakes.

For those of you who don't ever drive by our neighborhood I must paint a picture of an average afternoon in South Hollow. There are at least 2-5 moms sitting on a porch. From here we watch all of the 15 or so children in the road. Yes that does sound hot, but we all have 2 yr olds that think they are as big as the 8 yr olds. If we aren't outside then we have a 2 yr old running loose or a really mad one in the house. We hand out otter pops like water and try to keep peace with all the children. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact we like hanging out with each other. We would rather be cleaning our houses, but you know how it is. It is all about the kids. Such a sacrifice.

So back to the pool.
I text back that I am at the pool, save me a cupcake, and are you really on my porch? This is the reply "Heck yes we are on your porch! We will try to save it for you but we can't make any promises. We already had two each and this last one is looking mighty tasty." Those crazy girls. I know exactly which ones are on my porch.

I get home and there they are protecting my property. Apparently a sales lady tried selling them some cleaning solution. They thought about running behind the house so they didn't have to talk to her, but didn't. I'm sure she didn't believe them when they said they didn't live at this house. I am also surprised they didn't sign me up for a year supply of the cleaning solution and have the bill sent to the house.

They do have a list for Shane. They thought of some improvements that could be made on the porch.
1. A mini fridge for beverages.
2. A chocolate fountain. (Sorry girls, Shane isn't a chocolate fan)
3. Ceiling fan.
4. Something in the ceiling to mist them on the hot days.

Well to end this story, I didn't get a cupcake. They ATE THEM ALL!!! I'm sure a few kids helped. They weren't the gourmet ones. I still have yet to see what a gourmet cupcake looks like. What really makes a cupcake gourmet?

3 comments:

Shani said...

That is so funny, my neighborhood is just like that. All our kids are the same ages and we just can't keep them apart, so we figured we might as well follow suit. I love my neighbors and I will probably have to frequently visit after we get moved out--there's just no way I'll be able to stay away!

Florrie said...

Wow! Those gals sound like tons of fun. I wish I had friends like that!(ha ha)

There are some items that you left off your list for shane:

1. Mosquito netting(cause sometimes we are out there until all hours)

2. Porch swings...more than one, mind you, so that we all can be just a little more comfortable.

3. And how about hour own personal masseur to ease those aching muscles 'cause we do chase our kids around all day long....or not

Could you please tell shane to get on those requests asap!

P.S The difference between a cupcake and a gourmet cupcake is only about $4.50....man those little suckers are EXPENSIVE...but GOOD. If you didn't throw away your coupon for a free one, then maybe you could have had one by now....

Machelle Kay said...

I am so jealous. That would be awesome to just to sit on a porch and watch your kids play. Wait I do! My kids actually play with kids outside and I just sit on the patio and text Logan (ps. don't tell him that. He still thinks I am doing something productive). But I am jealous that you have an adult conversation. Maybe I will have to call you when you are on your porch and I on my patio.