Thursday, June 19, 2008

Friendship

We have all had those friendships that last a lifetime. I have a friendship that has beat all odds and still is strong. Tammi, if you are reading this, I don't mean any of it to be embarrassing.

I was born in Cedar City and about 8 months later my parents moved to a town called Panguitch, UT. Down the street lived a girl named Tammi Henrie. She was my age. Our mothers sung in a small women's group. They would meet at the church and us kids would play in the nursery. I vaguely remember that. I do remember age 4 and 5. Tammi and I were rarely apart, always walking to each others house to spend hours with each other. You could say we were best friends. We started Kindergarten and were separated. She had morning and I had afternoon. (This may not be true. I am going off what I remember. My mom can't confirm this either).

The summer after Kindergarten my Dad was transferred to Wellington where he and my mom grew up. They were excited to be able to raise their kids near family. Tammi and I kept in touch. Yes the little 6 yr old that I was wrote Tammi many letters. We continued corresponding for years. My parents would take us back to Panguitch every once in a while, to see their friends, and I would stay at Tammi's house. I looked forward to those trips. We didn't call each other because it was long distance and that was pretty expensive back then. We were good at writing. I actually still have all of her letters.

I spent the summer working in the Tetons after graduation. I received a letter from Tammi, informing me that she was getting married. I was excited for her. I made a trip down to Panguitch for her wedding.

A few years later, about a month after I returned home from a mission, I spent a weekend with her, her husband and son Dalan in Cedar City. It was good to see her and it seemed like we had always been around each other.

We lost track of each other for awhile. Both of us very busy raising our families. Last Dec. I received a Christmas Letter from her. I was so excited. She had included her e-mail. I wrote her and she immediately responded. It was again like we had always been around each other. I would read her e-mail and be able to hear her voice as I read.

Last week I received another e-mail. She was going to be up this way. Could we meet up? Yes!! I haven't seen her for over 10 yrs. The last time I saw her was an accident. I was in the Orem mall looking for a dress for my mom and mother-in-law. I was about to get married. She was on her way up to Primary Children's with her daughter Taylor for a check-up. I was able to show her a picture of Shane. Luckily Shauna had a family picture on her. (She still hasn't ever met Shane)

So yesterday we met up at the mall. I could have talked to her for hours. We talked, laughed and reminisced. Often we asked the question. "What if I had stayed in Panquitch. How would that have changed things?" I am amazed at how strong a friendship we have for being kindergarten friends.

Don't underestimate your children's friendships. They are real. I am grateful my Parents helped encourage that friendship years after we had moved. It was good to see you Tammi!!

5 comments:

JJ and Stephanie said...

What good story. I love it!! Thanks for sharing.

Tara said...

Denette,
Hello! I came across your blog on accident, but was so happy to see how you have been doing. I think it's been 15+ years.. You have such a cute family! I'm just starting a blog too. We'll have to catch up.
Tara

Shani said...

Denette,
I love this story! It comes at such a perfect time because I also have a friendship that time nor miles could ever break. You of course remember Kim Oberhansley, well if you've read my latest post it mentions spending the day at Discovery Gateway with Kim and her kids. After leaving Wellington and moving to Roosevelt, and then onto Missouri we have always kept in touch and every time we've been able to get together it seems like we've never really been apart. It's wonderful to have a friendship like that!!:)

Shani said...

Tag...You're It! I just love these:) check it out on my blog.

Jen and Weston said...

Denette I love your hair in this pict. It is so cute! It makes me want to cut mine that length. SO cute!