Friday, August 8, 2008

Fathers and Sons

This is one of the weekends of the year that I really look forward to. A time to send my sons off with their dad to do their boy stuff together. My boys actually call it boys camp and wonder why it isn't as long as the girls camp. That would be torture on Shane if it was a week long.

Well this year is the first year that all 4 of my boys will be going. That means I get to have a girl night. Now I know what you are thinking. I don't have any girls to have a girls night with. You are correct. That is why I called it a girl night and not a girls night. In the past I have been invited to dinner and a movie with other moms with daughters. I did enjoy that, but sometimes I really enjoy being alone.

When Shane & I were first married and living in SLC Shane would often go truck driving on the weekend for extra money. I would find myself downtown catching a concert on Temple Square or wandering the mall. Maybe I am a loner, but there was something I enjoyed about going and doing things by myself. You have to remember that I met Shane at a dance club that I went to weekly by myself. Yes I knew people once I got there, but I didn't need someone to walk in with me.

So the plan is to shop. I am excited to not have to hunt for children hiding under the clothing racks, chasing them down the hall because they missed the store, no tantrums in the isle. Now this isn't all about me. I do need to finish up some school shopping. I started this week and it has been awful. My boys act like boys in the mall. It is very common to see them wrestling in the isle. Often one of them is in tears because one of the other boys hit him. I think I will get more accomplished without them.

I hope they have fun. Poor Shane!! It is like a full camping trip without his wife. It isn't much of a break for him. I offered to have Porter stay home with me, but he wants to take him. They are making memories.

6 comments:

Tara said...

Glad to hear your shopping trips are the same as mine! We had the same kind of fun school shopping last weekend! Enjoy your alone time! I would love time to take a nap and do absolutely nothing!
Tara

Angelina said...

Sounds like my boys at the mall. Joshua actually bursts into tears when we pull into the parking lot before we even enter any stores. Hope you have fun.

Logan said...

I gotta give props to Shane.... I told Machelle that there isnt a way in the world I could take both of them at the ages they are at right now! If I had a shock collar for each boy it might be a different story.

Denette said...

Age does make a big difference. Give you a couple years and it wouldn't be as bad. Shane kept telling me it was only for one night.

Shani said...

Hi, Denette!
I'm glad you got to have some very enjoyable alone time...that sounds sooo appealing to me!
I'm here to tag you with a very fun and silly tag, check it ou on my blog...you gotta try it!

Kim said...

Ahh, time alone! I forgot there was such a thing, since being a mom your on the job 24/7. Hope you had a great time!

Kim