This week we have been creating memories......lots of them!!
Monday morning we headed out to one of our favorite camping spots. We went to Huntington Canyon. The spot we like best is just below Mammoth (I just learned this week it is called Huntington Reservoir, not Mammoth. Who knew.) We like this spot because you can walk to a small stream to fish, ride your bikes, hike and have access to 3 or so small reservoir's. I camped here as a kid and loved it then too.
Monday we went fishing on Benches pond. The fishing was good there. So was the mud. You just can't escape it.


Tuesday we went on a hike. I haven't been on a real hike since I was pregnant with Bailey. It was just too hard with little kids. I was so proud of the boys. We hiked for 3 hours with minimal complaints. Cute Wyatt, close to the bottom, sat on a rock and said "My legs hurt". He wasn't complaining, he was just stating a fact. What troopers. They took their BB Guns along to shoot who knows what. Dallin told me it would protect me from bears. I'm glad I have someone watching out for me. Wyatt was so tired he asked to go to bed at 7:30pm. He didn't wake up until 8:00am the next morning.



Wednesday we took the canoe out. The boys had fun with that. We let Bailey and Dallin go solo. They thought they were cool. I was just hoping if the boat capsized that they had the energy to swim back to shore. (Remember, swimming is not my strength) Just before dinner while Shane and my Dad went fishing I took the boys to the stream to wade in it. They had a blast. So did I.

We came home Wednesday night. These are a few things that I observed about camping.
1. Food always tastes better camping (dutch oven)
2. If there is a body of water, you must throw a rock in it. (Porter could do this all day)
3. If there is mud, you must step in it.
4. The second night of sleep is always the best.
5. You are wasting your time cleaning your kids. Just before bedtime is enough.

Thursday the kids had a primary activity. They decorated their bikes and a float for the 24th parade. When they came home we took them up to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house. I have to say that temple is right up there with the Salt Lake Temple in my mind. I loved the layout and beauty. There is something about staircases.

Friday was the parade. There are 2 stakes in Mapleton and every year they have a parade for all the kids and a few other entries. I am in Primary so I rode on the float. Shane decided he would take Porter and ride his bike along side. It was a family affair. Porter didn't last long in the bike trailer. He ended up on my lap.


Later in the day we hit a movie, dinner and then finished up with some fireworks. My kids are pyro's so the fireworks didn't last long.
What a fun week. I hope we have created a few good memories for the boys.

6 comments:
Sounds like fun. I really miss Utah when the 24th of July comes around. They just don't celebrate it much here in Washington....I wonder why??
Great memories for sure! You crammed a lot of activities into one week! And no one got hurt - that's always a bonus!
Tara
Sounds like alot of fun!! Huntington Reservoir will always be Mammoth Lake in my book too!!
I agree it is still Mammoth lake because they found it there. But I miss Utah. I love camping up in Huntington because there is so much to do around there. I am glad you had a blast and congrats Bailey and Dallin going on the canoe by yourselves.
Wow. Sounds like you had fun. I really like the Oquirrh Mountain temple too. It is beautiful!
You totally have! And I love that even though it takes a lot of prep and work for Mom & Dad, you still make it happen!
The boys will of course love these memories and will have lots to talk about when they are adults looking at their little boys!
Post a Comment