My baby is 3 1/2 and you would think he would sleep through the night. For a couple years he did, but the past few months he is on a new kick. He gets up at about 1 or 2 and comes straight to our room.
Reasons for him getting out of bed are either
1. Wanting his covers put back on. (He is so capable of doing this by himself, but feels he needs to wake the whole family up.)
2. Wanting to sleep in our bed. (A sideways sleeping child means bruises in the morning for the parents.)
3. Growing pains. (He told his Dad that I was pinching his legs the other night. Apparently my massage technique isn't good.)
So last night he came in as he has in the past, needing his covers put back on. Shane told him to do it himself and he said he didn't know how. After a few minutes of this conversation I went into his room to show him how to do it himself and told him to go to sleep. A half hour passed and I heard his door open and saw his light on. He shows up in my room and said he wants his car jammies on. He had on Transformer jammies and didn't want them on anymore. Shane tells him he can't change jammies in the middle of the night and sends him back to bed. He ends up crying himself to sleep.
We tell him each night that he needs to stay in his room until it is morning. He smiles and says ok. Then, like clockwork he is in our room at 1 or 2. Ugh!!!
I guess it is never ending, the newborn stage, the toddler stage, and soon to be the teenager stage. I think my days of a good night sleep were over years ago.
7 comments:
I agree completely. Once you have children sleep is a thing of the past. What we did with Abigail was put a blanket on our floor so when she came in she had to sleep on the floor. She did that for about a year until we finally convinced her her bed was much more comfortable
Totally! And they never wake up their dad. They always come to my side of the bed. I let them sleep on the floor if they're sick. If they're not, they're in their own beds!
I hear ya I got the same problem. If you figure it out. Let me know I am too tired to take him back so I always just put him in bed with us.
I am right there with you! And the bruises are horrible!! I've got the 2am thing going on too with Bron! My oldest slept in our bed until she was 4 1/2. I finally told her she was grounded until she slept in her own bed. I'd let her stare out the window at all of the kids playing and remind her all day that she was grounded for sleeping in my bed. It took one week, and she never slept with us again...now if that would only work with my 2 year old...the sleep deprivation is killing me!!
Tara
Hey Denette. . . . that's why women age faster than men! Enjoy the kids waking you up. . . pretty soon you just wake yourself up and that's even more frustrating. You're not going to believe this, but some day you'll miss that "little face" standing by the side of your bed.
Oh man. I am so sorry. That is not fun at all. Sometimes Kelli wakes me up in the night. A lot of times it is because she also needs her covers on. Sometimes it is because she wet the bed. Sometimes it is because she claims there are bees in her bed. I feel so cranky when she wakes up in the night. I sure enjoy my sleep as well. Hopefully it gets better for you.
I love the pancake story! Our Matthew was our WORST sleeper. Actually our best baby sleeper but worst once he had a "big boy bed". FINALLY a few months ago Cullen Clark gave me the idea to put 3 pennies on his little night table or something and say that every time he gets out of bed we have to take a penny away and what ever is left in the morning he can put in the piggy bank. It actually worked! And believe me for the last 4 years of his crazyness I have tried EVERYTHING you could imagine and THIS worked! Good luck! I'm not so nice without sleep!
Post a Comment