Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Memories

As Thanksgiving approaches I have been reminiscing of Thanksgivings past. I love Thanksgiving.

Things I remember
- Running around Grandma's house with all our cousins. We traded off every other year, but it was the same scene.
- All the aunts in the kitchen laughing and working hard on a very yummy dinner.
- All the uncles in the living room watching football. Yelling at the players, as if they can hear through the TV.
-Pies, pies, and more pies. How do you choose? That's easy, you have a small piece of each. Banana creme, chocolate, pumpkin, cherry, apple, and lemon meringue.
-Dad making pies the night before. He is a master at cherry.
-Bringing Shane home to meet the extended family for Thanksgiving. We were eating in Grandma Davis's garage (no room inside for 40+ people). Shane was eating his food when he broke his plastic Wendy's fork. My Grandma is a product of the depression, so yes she saves and washes plastic silverware. My uncle Leon was sitting across from Shane and I. He freaked out when he saw that Shane had broken Grandma's fine china and handed him a dollar bill just in case he had to pay for the lost fork.
-The year Ruthann had brought store bought pies to Thanksgiving. (This may have been the same year Shane broke the fork.) I didn't think her brothers were going to let her hear the end of it.
-The year I enjoyed one last day of being pregnant with Wyatt. I was scheduled to be induced the next day at 5:30am. Wyatt was born on Black Friday.
-The year we went to Chuck-o-Rama for Thanksgiving. This was my first time going with the Steen's. We were newly married. I thought this was a tradition of theirs. I know now that it isn't, but it does still stick out in my mind. (Shauna, Wyatt had his primary teacher convinced that he was going to Chuck-o-Rama and having macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving. Not sure where he got that idea from.)
-The year the Butler's went to Helaman Hollow (Scofield). I should rephrase that. The Years the Butler's went to Helaman Hollow. How fun it was to go up Wed. night and camp out in the cabin. We put on quilts, sled down the hills behind the cabin and enjoyed a fun weekend together.
-Last year when Mom's Turkey was taking a lot longer to cook than planned. (it was an hour or 2) We went to plan B (precooked ham) and ate the Turkey later.

4 comments:

Kiera said...

Wow!!! I had NO idea such amazing deals can be found on Black Friday!!!
I feel a need to play speed tonight... Wish you were here!

Shauna said...

Denette. . . . thanks for the trip down memory lane. You do have a lot to be thankful for. You have an amazing family. We always had store-bought pies. . . well, you know, we're "Chuck-A-Rama" people. See. . . Wyatt fits right in! HAPPY THANKSGIVING. . . see you at 4:00 p.m. at the "STEEN-A-RAMA!!!

Denette said...

Shauna,
I hope you didn't think I was making fun of store bought pies or Chuck-A-Rama. One of my favorite pies isn't homemade. It is from Marie Calendars.

Shauna said...

You're cute, Denette! You're suppose to make fun of Chuck-A-Rama. . . it's a "Happy Place"!