I have a love/hate relationship with September.
I love and hate that school has started. I love the schedules, but hate the homework.
I love and hate that the weather is cooling off. I love that you can open your windows instead of using central air, but hate that it means winter is on its way.
I love and hate soccer. I love that my boys enjoy being active and play a few sports, but hate that they all fall on the same day, at 3 different parks.
I love and hate making new school year goals. (Am I the only one that does this?) I love bettering myself with goals, but hate that a few always fall to the side. (I am doing pretty good on a few. Wooo Hoo)
I love and hate canning. I love looking at shelves full of food. I love to eat what has been canned and actually don't mind the process of it. I hate that the produce has to be canned on the day that I don't have time for it and it really can't wait another day. I also hate that I really don't have room for it. I have a great picture in my head of a basement room full of shelves and stocked like a mini store (I have a neighbor whose looks like this). I don't have a basement, so mine is stuffed under beds and in spare closets. I have often joked that if we had an earthquake and we were pinned in various places in our house we would be OK. The food is so spread out that you would only be in trouble if you were pinned in the bathroom.

The salsa is done. I tried 2 different recipes this year to see which one we liked better. I was planning on Spaghetti sauce tomorrow, but my dear Mother offered to do it for me. So nice!
7 comments:
I agree with your loves and hates!! I haven't canned in about 4 years. It's been a nice break but I have the itch to can this year. Would you mind sharing your salsa and spaghetti recipes? tarafree26@hotmail.com I don't have my yahoo account anymore. Don't you just love looking at all your jars lined up. It's a great feeling!!!
I don't have a basement either - you have to be creative! So nice of your mom to help you out.
I agree with your loves and hates too. September kinda' makes you sad. . . and last night it was actually COLD! I don't like COLD! You and your Mom are amazing, I haven't canned for years! Last time I did salsa, I burned the whole thing. I'm NOT a homemaker!
It would be nice if you could have a basement. With all those boys, you sure could use one!
I totally need to be a canner. With as many little mouths to feed and food storage space, I should be a canner. I want to pick your brain!
ps. I love that Shauna posted a whole 40 min before me this morning!
I'm right there with you on the whole love/hate relationship with this time of year! It's crazy! I was really hoping that things would slow down once the kids got back into school, but it just seems to have gotten busier around here. I love to can when there is time, and if a friend helps me. I want your recipes too...I made a yummy spaghetti sauce years ago, but I was the only one who liked it! I'd like to try another one. It won't be this year though....my garden was pathetic and I don't have anything to can! I am working on getting peaches and apples for apple pie filling though....so good - and that will keep me busy!
totally agree with you.
Hey Denette, No we didn't win the horse shoe tournament. We got 2nd place. Brink and I just lost it at the end. Plus it was dark and I couldn't see the peg.
Post a Comment