Friday, March 4, 2011

Why???????

What is this a picture of?



Yes it is my cooktop. Why would I be taking a picture of it? Because I need to vent. You see that little black spot on it? It is a chip. Last night while boiling some rice I heard a POP. I look over at the stove and see cracks all over it. (They are really sharp cracks.) They are easier to see when the element is heated up. Why, I say why???? This stove is only 3 years old.

Shane told me that if I didn't use it so often it may have lasted longer. Hmmm..... I am going to take that as a compliment.

So off to research a new cooktop. I am beginning to wonder why these are so popular. You can't put a pressure cooker on them, you can't put cast iron pans on them, they end up with pits when sugar is spilled on them, and they cost a lot of money to fix them.

I am still saving for a Kitchen addition and this only sets me back. Ugh!!!!

Warning to all my neighbors. You may be getting a phone call from me when I need to boil rice or pasta. Is it possible to fry hamburger in your oven???? Oh, if only the trailer was not winterized.

12 comments:

Rosalyn said...

This time, just buy a gas one. They never crack!!!

Denette said...

I wish it was that easy. We would have to have a gas line ran from the other end of the house to the kitchen that is on a cement slab. Maybe in my next kitchen.

Shauna said...

I had a cooktop once. . . never again! Same thing happened to me. It might be better to buy an electric stove than repair the cooktop. Just get a basic, no frill, cheap one until you remodel the kitchen. Check KSL.com for a good used one. Good luck!

Tara said...

That happened to Kate on John and Kate Plus 8 once. I couldn't believe that could happen to those cooktops. Who knew! That totally bites that it happened to your stove!Unexpected expenses are just so aggravating!

Shauna said...

Hey, Shane & Denette. . . if you need some money. . . Dad is loaded!

Heidi Keller said...

I think the only reason why they are so popular is because they are easy to wipe off. I agree with Rosalyn, gas is the only way to go if it is possible.

Tara said...

That stinks! Everyone I know has a glass top, and they love them! I got a cheap gas stove - and it's my favorite. I thought another bonus to having gas was that you could still use it if the power was ever off for quite some time. However, if the power goes out I can only use the top. I still can't bake even though it's gas because the clock has to be set (which requires power) to turn the oven on...weird!

pan x 8 said...

Just when you think you are in the clear, your stove top cracks. sheesh - I happen to adore gas but am on an electric, which I loathe.

Good luck friend!

The Kolste Family said...

Sure, now you tell me the cooktops break easily! Hopefully that won't happen to ours. Well we have an awesome oven with your name on it! It's pretty fancy!

jami said...

Our oven went out last month and we are just now getting around to replacing it - they are so expensive! It's funny how creative you have to get when one of your kitchen appliances goes out.

JJ and Stephanie said...

That stinks! We have one too! I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon to ours, now you have me worried!

Florrie said...

I've got four burner just dying to boil pasta or rice for you! Call anytime....