Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I dream of a clean house

When school started I thought I would have a better handle on keeping a clean house... NOT!... You would think that 2 less children during the day would help with the clutter. I may have to give up the idea of having vacuum lines last longer than 10 minutes.

For example, Monday morning I made my bed. I walk out of my room and Porter walks in. I go back in the room a few minutes later and he is in the bed. Not not on it, but in it. So I wait for him to get out and I make it again. I now get in the shower. After the shower I open the bathroom door and am amazed at what I see. Wyatt and Porter have torn all the bedding off the bed and are jumping on it. It is one thing to tear my bed apart just after I get out of bed, but I have already made the thing twice. I guess that is what I get for not having a trampoline.

So I go about my regular routine. You know, dishes, vacuuming, laundry, etc. By about 11:00 the house is pretty much in order. 3:30 rolls around and out comes every snack known to mankind. Yes the big boys are home. I try to remind them that dinner isn't too far off, but they claim they are STARVING. I swear they don't eat lunch at school. Just another mess to clean up. They try to help clean up when asked, but it usually isn't my idea of clean.

I went to a family baby shower around 6:30 and when I returned all the lights were off. It was about 8:30pm. I expected the kids to be in bed, but Shane too? I notice the computer monitor on so I head for the computer room/guest room. Shane had been on the computer in the dark. I turn on the light and ask "What happened to this room?" The laundry basket of clean clothes had been thrown everywhere. You could hardly see the floor. Shane's reply was "The whole house looks like this. I just turned off the lights so I didn't have to look at it." I just laughed. I'm sure he tried to clean up, but there are 4 creatures that follow behind you creating messes as you go.

Today I have put the couch back together a couple of times.... There are chips all over the carpet..... They are currently jumping on the guest bed...... I have picked up clean laundry off the floor that was folded at one time....Again it is just job security for me.

I thought of adding pictures to this post, but it would be too embarrassing.

6 comments:

Nelson News said...

Hey There! I am glad you found us too. Now we can keep better intouch, more than just the Chritmas cards. I can't believe how fast your boys grew up! They are so cute. Thanks for letting me know your blog, I'll check back. I loved this post, by the way. It is how I feel every night around 8:00. By 10:00, all is clean until the kids wake up.

Shani said...

I love that you are always posting about 'real life'; and helping me see that the chaos around my house is a normal occurrence. Thanks, and keep sharing!

Tara said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this never ending persuit of cleanliness. I was talking to a lady in the PTA that has 4 sons the other day and she said that she gave up years ago on having a house that looks clean. She decided she just cleans so she knows it's sanitary. It may get messed up 2 seconds later but at least she knows it's sanitary. It's helped me think in those terms. At least we aren't alone. Thanks for the reminder!

Judy Andreason said...

It is great to see your family. Joseph still has fond memories of Shane being his young men president.
Judy

Tara said...

I have the same dream over and over too! It's turning into more of a nightmare!!! I do agree - good job security, just wish the job paid more!
Tara

Angelina said...

I love this. I too feel this same way. The house can be clean and school lets out and oh boy watch out. John gets home from work and it looks like I have just sat around all day doing nothing!!