Friday, October 31, 2008

My poor kids

It is rough having a mom that doesn't love Halloween. I don't enjoy dressing up, spending money on costumes, haunted houses, scary movies etc. I don't mind trick or treating because I love candy and my kids will usually share.

So yesterday Wyatt comes up to Shane and I and said, "Is it time?" Shane said, "time for what?" "Time to carve our pumpkins," he said. I wasn't sure how that was going to work. I had a Stake Leadership meeting in about 30 minutes. I wouldn't be back until they were in bed. As I walked up the stairs to change into a skirt I see this.

They had taken every pumpkin off our porch in preparation to carve them. You could tell they were excited.

I come back downstairs and Shane has got them started. Good thing they have a nice Dad.


Porter was proud of his smiling pumpkin.

WHAT IS THIS??!!!!!!!!!!!


I think the neighbors are a bad influence on my boys. Don't my kids know that Shane and I are UTES? We both graduated from the U and are surrounded by Cougar fans. I really mean surrounded. I don't think my boys have a chance.

For those of you that think I am a mean mom, relax. The kids will be dressing up and going to a Halloween party. Last years party was fun and I anticipate this year will be just as good, if not better. I didn't say I hate the holiday, I just don't love it.

10 comments:

Machelle Kay said...

Well I don't like to decorate for it either. Or carve pumkins. But I love dressing my boys up since they still let me choose what they want to be. I know it will change. But good job Shane.

Grow Family said...

That is cute that the kids had all of the pumpkins ready to be carved. I bought ours on Monday and we still haven't had a chance to carve them. Oh well. They can be Thanksgiving pumpkins. :o)

I know, I feel old. It was a long time ago that we were sophomores in high school. Give 2 1/2 more years and it will be our 20th school anniversary. I wonder if we will do anything. Hmm. Yes, I do still keep in contact with Andrew Fry. He and his wife Helene and 3 kids live in Bountiful. He got his MS in Chemical & Fuels Engineering from the U and works at a firm downtown somewhere. He is always going somewhere for work. He is doing well. I told him we need to go our own reunion in the Spring at a park in SLC so it will be a halfway point for those coming. I do want to get together with Rosie too. Is she ever not busy?

Delora said...

I loved the BYU Pumpkin. Kade also carved a BYU pumkin.(the influence of parents that graduated from BYU). Way to go Shane for helping out the boys. Way to go Denette for getting out of the mess.

Shelly said...

Tell Your boys they have had their names removed from my Christmas list - BYU Pumpkin What were they thinking!!! Shane you're slacking if your sons think that is appropriate!!!

Tara said...

Love the BYU pumpkin! Be sure to smash that one first! Seriously be a fun mom and let them smash their pumpkins! Grandma Butler taught us that a few years back and now it's tradition to destroy our own pumpkins after Halloween. They don't even mind cleanin up the mess if I let them go crazy! and it keeps them from smashing someone elses!
Tara

Heidi Keller said...

It is good to know that the "love" for Halloween runs in the family. What did mom do to make us dislike the holiday so much?

The Peterson 5 said...

You Gotta love that Wyatt! He knows how to party for the holiday. It seems like dad's are best at carving pumpkins. Steve carved a Pikachu one for Zack and he said, "my dad is the best pumpkin carver ever!"

JJ and Stephanie said...

Looks like alot of fun. Did you have to carve all those pumpkins? That is alot of pumpkins... GO COUGARS :)

One Sassy Princess said...

What a nice dad! I love that they brought all the pumpkins in to carve! Your boys are so adorable!

griffin gossip said...

Your kids no how to get you. I love they put all the pumpkins in your house. How sneaky. Their is no way to say no to that!!!!! What a fun laugh!!!! Thanks karen