Sunday, February 1, 2009

Church at 1:00

I know I just posted about my house shrinking, but it is only 10:15 and I am going to go crazy. You see we meet at 1:00 so I have hours of waiting, breaking up fights, and total chaos until it is time to go to church. I have a friend who goes from 2:30 - 5:30. I really have nothing to complain about, but I thought I would list some Pro's and Con's to see if I really have it all that bad.

Lets start with the Con's. They are easier.

1. My kids destroy the house
2. We stay in our PJ's until 12:00
3. It is harder to get to Grandma's for Sunday Dinner
4. It isn't peaceful
5. The older ones are always making the younger ones cry
6. It ends up being a No Nap day. (That isn't just for Porter. I need one too.)

Now for the Pro's
1. I can finish up my Primary lesson (if I lock myself in the bathroom)
2. I can sleep in
3. I don't have to rush to get ready (except for the fact that choir is at 9:00am)
4. I don't have to do much Saturday Night prep. (ironing, bathing)
5. We can stay in our PJ's until noon

So they are about equal. I remember loving 1:00 Church in college. We would sleep in, get with the neighbors to have a big breakfast, spend quiet time reading the scriptures, listening to uplifting music and preparing to attend church. I looked forward to the day that was different from all the others. It all changed as I had kids.

So if any of you have any ideas that work for your home, I am up for them. It would be nice to have peace before I walk into the Chapel.

10 comments:

Tara said...

My pro's and con's list is exaclty the same!!! I have no suggestions at all.....

I'm just grateful we have 9 o'clock church this year! Although every Sunday morning starts with a huge panic - since Blake has meetings that start at 7:30 a.m. and I'm on my own to make it with four kids and get the primary room set up!

I'm planning on peace when they grow up and leave - until then it's just endurance and fake smiles!

Annette said...

How about sleeping pills until 11:30
a.m. for the kids. Just kidding...good luck...And you do need to go to choir practice. You have an amazing voice and it would be sad to hide it under a bushel.

Tara said...

We used to go from 1:30-4:30 in Cedar City. We decided to make Sunday morning our BIG breakfast day. Every Sunday we made something other than cold cereal, oatmeal, or eggs and toast and we all loved it! It became a fun tradition! My sister Stephanie bought my kids a Veggie Tales sing along songs movie and they LOVE it and we have a Hermie movie by Max Lucado and I have bought a few others and I have a rule that they can only watch their "Sunday movies" before church. That way they don't get too riled up, they are hearing good messages, and it keeps them entertained enough to not cause me so much frustration that by the time I get to church I feel like the spirit is LONG gone!

Heidi Keller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelina said...

When our church is at 1:00 we also have a big breakfast day. My husband wonderful man that he is usually cooks it. (Or it doesn't get made). Then we have a few toys that are Sunday only toys so they hold their interest a little bit longer. We also try to play games as a family.

Rosalyn said...

Just don't go to church and that will solve the problem. J/K. I don't think there is a good time for church to be.

griffin gossip said...

1:00 church is tough!!! I am just going to say it. It is a bummer. It takes your whole afternoon. 11:00 is totally my fav!!! 9:00, I might as well be inactive. 2:30? are you kidding? Hey Its just a year right, that's what they say to make you feel better. So really I have no advice, just commenting to make you still not like 1:00 church. SORRY Karen

jami said...

I'm with everyone else - no suggestions. Our ward starts at 1:00 as well this year, so I have the same woes. I'm all over the big breakfast, but other than that it's pretty much chaos. :)

Shelly said...

Benadryl-not for the kids for U then you don't care what's going on!!!

Shelly said...

I just thought of another one- When I was the nursery leader one of the members of the other ward would drop off her kids !@!! So she could have free time-how many wards in your building? Just sent the kids to every wards primary!!!!!!