Uncle Ben and Aunt Renee (actually cousins, but have called them aunt and uncle ever since I can remember) put together a little reunion to discover our roots. This took place yesterday in Ferron Utah. My Great Grandmother Lenora Nelson was raised there. She also met her husband Wyler Henrie there. He was not raised there, but was living there with a relative when they met.We went to the cemetery there in Ferron where many relatives were buried. My kids had fun walking through trying to find the oldest headstone. I believe 1820 was the earliest that they found. (That was actually a birth date and not a death date.)

The next stop was the old farm. My Great Grandmothers parents had a farm there. Dallin is standing in front of what was their 40 acre farm. Nelson family still owns the farm, from a different wife than the one we came from.
Lenora's parents lived in this house, in town when they were older. The house has been added onto. The owner wondered why everyone was taking a picture of her house.
We went back to the park by the fairgrounds to eat. My boys found a basketball hoop and pretty much hung out there. Bailey is explaining the rules of Elimination to his Great Uncle Leon.
Bailey, Dallin, Leon and my Dad playing ball.
Porter enjoying the swing. He was giggling most of the time.

The next stop was the old farm. My Great Grandmothers parents had a farm there. Dallin is standing in front of what was their 40 acre farm. Nelson family still owns the farm, from a different wife than the one we came from.
Lenora's parents lived in this house, in town when they were older. The house has been added onto. The owner wondered why everyone was taking a picture of her house.
We went back to the park by the fairgrounds to eat. My boys found a basketball hoop and pretty much hung out there. Bailey is explaining the rules of Elimination to his Great Uncle Leon.
Bailey, Dallin, Leon and my Dad playing ball.
Porter enjoying the swing. He was giggling most of the time.Fun Day.
Things I learned.
1. My Great Grandpa Henrie died at age 36. His appendix burst. He wouldn't go in to get checked. He kept working. Finally after many days he went in and there wasn't much they could do for him.
2. My Great Grandma Lenora had 9 children with Wyler Henrie. She had one more child with another husband with the last name of Turner.
3. My Grandma Davis was child # 9.
4. I could live in Ferron.
5. Great Grandma and Grandpa Henrie moved to Clawson after 3 of their children were born.
6. My Great Great Grandpa Nelson had a dog name Pal. He would heard the cows. He would take the cows out to feed and back everyday. When Grandpa was sick they wouldn't let the dog in the house. The dog stood outside his window. When Grandpa died the dog ran away and never came back.
7. I should keep writing in my journal. It is hard to remember things.
7. I should keep writing in my journal. It is hard to remember things.
5 comments:
I wanted to go to this whem mom mentioned it but I still live a bit far away. Thanks for sharing the history with us.
WOW - can you imagine 10 kids? And to think she was widowed with 9... What a great story! I certainly need to take more of an interest in my roots! Blake's grandma does tons of geneology and gives us binders full of stories...I need to be more diligent about sharing them with my kids (and getting stories from my side)! As for journaling - look how great you've done with the blog! Who would have guessed we'd be letting people read our journal moments before we are gone? crazy!
Tara
Thanks for filling me in on my roots also!! It would have been fun to be there, but like Heidi, it is a bit of a drive.
Whoa - great way to do family history where the kids can remember! I feel the same way - need to write down 'cause can't remember anything anymore!!
Hey, gave you an award. You can pick it up at my Insanities blog!
Thanks for sharing the information with us. I had no idea. The Nelson family is where we got Garrett's middle name from.
Post a Comment