Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Where did this tradition come from?

Seriously, where did carving pumpkins originate? Who were the first people to ever carve a pumpkin and what gave them the idea? The only reason I grow or buy a pumkin is to carve, paint or use as a decoration. I don't eat them. (Out of a can I do, but not from scratch) I am going to have to google that.

Anyway, last night we carved the donated pumpkins from Grandma Davis. (We killed ours early in the summer by putting hot hose water on the plant. Woops!!)

Dallin is all prepared. He must first put on his snow gloves. You know, he just might touch the goop inside and that would be really gross.
Woops, Wyatt did touch it and now is asking for something to wipe his hand off with. Come on boys!! Get slimy!
Porter had one on his arm and held out his arm like it would bite him.
My turn. I can carve a pumpkin......I think. Actually it took all my strength. I thought for sure I was going to cut my finger, hand, or arm off. After I got the knife in I couldn't get it out. The boys are staring at me trying not to laugh.....It is rude to laugh at your mother!
Do you really think I would taste it? NO!!! (What a nice hair day).
Bailey trying his hand at it. He was about as good as I was. He finally gave up and gave it to his Dad.
The finished product. Shelly, the U pumpkin was done in honor of you. It looks like we have a house divided.


9 comments:

Tara said...

I am with you, who thought of carving pumpkins?!?! It's a mess!! I only eat pumpkin out of a can too...I hear of people making soup in a pumpkin and they love it - but I haven't tried that either. And to cook and can pumpkin....wonder how hard that is, and if it's any good....I might have to actually try it one of these days.
Tara

Angelina said...

I never buy pumpkin from a can. It is soooo much better from scratch. Once you taste it from scratch you will never go back to canned. I have a great recipe if you want it.

The Kolste Family said...

How fun! I feel like we have missed fall completely this year. No pumpkin carving, no playing in leaves...Glad you guys are enjoying it! We will watch for them being lit up outside!

Tara said...

I'm sure the tradition was started by a man because they aren't the ones that have to clean up the mess!!! :) I bought a big roll of that butcher looking paper at Ikea and use it for everything. I put it on the table when we carved and it was the easiest clean up ever! FYI: Those little pumpkin carving kits aren't so scary as the knives. :) Just pricey! I'm going to check after Halloween sales for kits for all of us so we don't have to fight over the tools. Your pumpkins turned out great and it looks like you all had a lot of fun! I guess it's worth the mess...maybe! ;)

Florrie said...

Maybe you would like me to come over next year and give you pumpkin carving lessons because me and my mad pumpkin carving skillz won us $50 at our family party! Yeah baby. That's right.
(Oh wait. I forgot. Lewis carved the pumpkins I just came up with the idea.)
Oh well.

Shauna said...

How fun, Kids! Your pumpkins are awesome! We used to carve pumpkins when your Dad was little, but now I just have a whole bunch of fake ones!! Have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! Love you guys!

Shelly said...

Let me know which kid get's a dollar for carving me a REAL U pumpkin!!!! That will teach you Bailey!!! HA HA HA HA go UTES!!!!

Ginger said...

You're brave! I didn't even let my kids carve theirs this year. They just drew on them with markers. I'm no fun!!

Kim said...

we carved our pumpkins outside this year...spray off the table and your done! We were lucky it was warm that day and we were at Grandma's house.