Thursday, August 20, 2009

15 years ago.........

This post has been on my mind for at least 5 months. Back in April I had plans of posting about how I received my mission call 15 yrs ago. The day came and went and I didn't post. Then May came. I was going to post about going through the Manti Temple for my endowments. Again, it didn't happen. July rolls around and I was for sure going to post about entering the MTC. As you can see that didn't happen. Not all was lost. I could post in August about entering the mission field. Well Aug. is almost over and I am finally getting around to it. It was a mini sister missionary reunion that pushed me to get it done.

So 15 yrs ago I did send in my papers. I was called to serve in LA (California Los Angeles Mission). I was nervous, scared, and excited. This was not something that I had planned on doing my whole life. I had turned 21 in Jan. and decided to go in March or so. There were people against me going. I had people (not my parents) ask how I could do this to my family. I had a brother out at the time and that would mean the cost of 2 missionaries. I had others that thought I should go to school and find a husband. I stuck to what I felt was right for ME and sent in my papers.

I received the call the end of April and I was set. I had until July to get everything in order. I went through the Temple May 20th. I remember it being a little overwhelming the first time so I decided I would visit other Temples in Utah. I figured the more I went, the better I would understand. A few friends came a long as we toured the Utah Temples.

July 20th I entered the MTC. This is where I truly learned how to recognize the spirit. I had felt it many times, but until then I didn't understand how great a gift it was.

Aug. 10th I flew out. I am not going to bore you with any mission stories. The purpose of this post is to put in writing how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to serve a mission. It has been on my mind all year. Here are a few things that I learned there.

I am a Child of God. Sounds pretty simple, but everything falls back on it.

There are great people out there that sadly haven't heard about the restored gospel. Some are even more Christlike than I am.

The whole reason for us being here on earth is to return to our Father in Heaven. Nope it's not for the job or the vacation. It's not for the house we have or the cars we drive. (I have to remind myself of this quite often)

I learned that when I am doing what I know is right, nothing else matters. You can make fun, put me down or whatever. I am more concerned with what God thinks than man.

I met some wonderful people. Yesterday a few Sister missionaries got together in SLC. It had been 13 or so years since I had seen some of them. They inspire me to be better. It is amazing how you can not see someone and then sit and have a conversation as if you had seen them yesterday.

I had 11 companions in the 19 months I was out. There were 3 here in this picture. I would love to see all of them, but many live far, far away.

I have been blessed!!!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I think it's awesome that you went on a mission! Its an experience Chris and I both hope to have in the future...that is one experience you could never replace with anything else and I am sure that those whose lives you touched were grateful for your families sacrifice and your courage to go.

JJ and Stephanie said...

Fun post! I bet you were a GREAT missionary! So fun that you could all get together!

Tara said...

What an inspiring post! You reminded me of the things that really are important! It's so easy to get distracted and discouraged! Sometimes I wish I could have a big do-over, except have a go at it with what I know now! Really, I'd probably choose many of the same things, so I guess it's not all bad!
Tara

Tara said...

Glad you shared! I always planned to go but didn't and look forward to going some day! What a wonderful example you are! See your mission and the testimony you gained will touch an endless amount of lives in ways you will never know. Even through telling others about what you learned from it. Amazing!

pan x 8 said...

Dennette, what a great post. I knew your brother was on a mish but I didn't know people thought it was a bad idea... guess I never looked at things from that perspective. You were so great to be comps with... so many good memories.. funny tidbit... do you remember how weird you thought I was because of the way I drink out of a cup??? Hilarious!! ;p

Thank you for sharing a couple of months we me as comps.. I know it couldn't have been easy... Sis Ogden probably didn't think so either... ;p