Monday, May 10, 2010

Pioneer Trek

A few months back Shane and I were asked to be a Ma and Pa for our Stake Trek. I didn't even have to think twice before accepting. I was more than excited. I have wanted to do one for years. About 10 years ago I had just had my first boy and Shane was asked to be a Company Captain. I couldn't go because of my baby and was a little disappointed. I was eager to see pictures and hear stories as he returned. He did share some of his experiences with me, but it wasn't the same. He took me with him to a fireside after the trek where I got to meet the families he was over. I saw a relationship that he had formed with these families that could only have been formed in the conditions he was in. Truthfully, I still felt a little left out.

As the months passed at the beginning of this year my excitement started to disappear. There was more to the Trek than just attending. The prep work. Was I spiritually ready to be a Ma over some of the youth. How would I affect their experience? Other issues were getting babysitters for both an overnight training in May and for the real Trek in June. (I rarely get babysitters so this was a big deal). Was I physically prepared for this? So many things started to cloud my excitement.

So this past weekend was the training for the Ma's and Pa's. It ended up not being over night due to the cold nights we have been having, but I believe we still got a good feel for what June will bring. As I put on the pioneer clothing I started to feel good about it. The kids were in a good place. I knew they were safe and would have fun.

I cannot give details until later, but I do want to share a few feelings. This weekend was also Mothers Day and my mind thought a lot about those Pioneer mothers. What a sacrifice it was for them. I was pulling a handcart with my husband and 2 other couples. The pioneers had different circumstances. They had young children by their side. Hungry, tired and most likely crying. I was pulling a cart with no one else to worry about, but myself. These women had many things on their minds. Some without husbands, some lost loved ones along the way. I had a soft bed waiting for me when I was done. I had a shower waiting for me. They woke up each morning knowing they were not there yet.

I am now again excited to go. I am excited for the challenge. One thing I have learned in life is that great things happen when you step out of your comfort zone and do hard things. I am excited to see how it affects the youth, how it will affect Shane and I as parents, and how it will bring me closer to God.

More to come in June (hopefully with pictures)


5 comments:

Angelina said...

Our stake does the trek as well and I like you have had to stay behind as my husband goes with the youth because of babies. I hope you have a great time. I know you will be a good "Ma".

pan x 8 said...

What insight! You so made me be thankful for the trials I have because they could be worse with what other Moms in our day and age are facing. I have healthy children that are usually pretty great!

I'm glad that training was a great experience. Please blog about it ~ I'm going to vicariously live through you on that! =)

Tara said...

How cool! You will do a fantastic job!!! I still remember a pioneer trek we went on when I was a youth - it will be a wonderful experience! The kids will be lucky to have you in their group! Good luck with all of the planning - and leaving your kids! Keep telling yourself they will be just fine....I am the same as you, I rarely leave my kids too - but now that they are growing up it's getting so much easier!

The Peterson 5 said...

Denette, the polka-dot pots are on the "somewhat simple blog". I think they are pretty cute!

Ginger said...

I've never had the experience of a Trek, but I have heard wonderful stories about them. Sounds like it will be a good time! I'm glad you get to go this time.